The Talon

The Official Student News Publication of Davies High School

The Talon

The Talon

Dune: Part Two Film Review

For a book that has enjoyed consistent critical acclaim as Frank Herbert’s Dune, it’s hard to believe that many have called the novel “unadaptable” when making a big-screen movie. The science fiction phenomenon has long been considered difficult to adapt into a movie because of its very lengthy story, deep history, and alien terminology like “gom jabar” and “bene-gesserit.” Dune has been adapted to film before, with David Lynch’s Dune releasing in 1984 to a mostly negative critical reception and underperforming at the box office. But Dennis Villeneuve seemed to have pulled off the supposedly impossible with his film Dune: Part One, which adapted the first half of the novel. Villeneuve’s adaptation of the rest of the novel, Dune: Part Two, was released in theaters on March 1, 2024. With the release of Dune: Part Two it’s safe to say, the novel has been adapted incredibly well.

Dune: Part Two picks up where Part One left off, with the main character, Paul Atreides played by Timothee Chalamet, fleeing to live with the native people of Arakkis, the Dune planet, after a rival family, the Harkonnens, overthrew his family. Paul has to grapple with his new life as a member of the Fremen and the prophecy of the “Lisan al Gaib” that surrounds him. Using the Fremen, Paul begins to rise to power and lead the fight against the Harkonnens.

Alongside Dune: Part One, Part Two is a superb film and novel adaptation. Part Two has also been praised for the same reasons as Part One, with its stellar cast, book accuracy, and amazing worldbuilding. Seeing more of the Fremen civilization through Paul’s perspective helps expand the world of Arakkis and also makes his rise to power more believable. Many characters like Stilgar, a Fremen leader, and Lady Jessica, Paul’s bene-gesserit mother, help make Paul’s rise to power more believable. Javier Bardem gives a phenomenal performance as Stilgar, a member of the Fremen who helps show how the prophecy of the “Lisan al Gaib” spreads, Stilgar also helps to expand on the lore of the Fremen civilization. Portrayed perfectly by Rebecca Ferguson, Lady Jessica also shows how Benne-Gesserit can control people through prophecies by indoctrinating many Fremen into following Paul. Austin Butler gives a truly terrifying performance as Feyd-Rautha Harkonenn, portraying the harsh brutality of the Harkonnens and serving as a great antagonist. Owen Shannon (2024) praised the film, saying “Dune: Part Two is an immaculate innovation in cinema. The story is the most compelling representation of a tragic hero in modern fiction.”

The main characters, Timothee Chalamet as Paul Atreides and Zendaya as Chani, the Fremen love interest of Paul, both give amazing performances. Zendaya is much more present in the story compared to her role in Dune: Part One, which was mostly comprised of short dream sequences. Chani makes Paul’s character more believable by questioning him as he rises to power. Chalamet also gives a commanding performance as Paul Atreidies, showcasing Paul’s rise to power perfectly with a performance that highlights how he was both easily manipulated into abusing his power and coldly manipulative of others. Through Chalamet’s performance, the audience easily sees how Paul transforms from someone who wants to learn the Fremen ways and avenge his father into someone who abuses the Fremen and their prophecy to avenge his father and kill millions of others.

However, here were a few areas where the movie did fall short. Herbert’s novel employs a writing style that jumps around from character-to-character during scenes. This “head-hopping” helps convey nuances in each character’s thoughts and motivations, however, it is very hard to replicate in a movie. Villeneuve does not use any kind of inner monologue in the film, instead choosing to mostly leave out most of the exposition dumps and move along with the story. It is disappointing that this was left out, causing character motivation and worldbuilding to be slightly confusing at times. The pacing near the end of the film is also a little rushed. Paul’s transition from newcomer to messiah does feel a little too abrupt. There could have been another scene showing how he realizes his power, instead it seems as though the film switches into a different character suddenly.

Overall, Dune: Part Two improves on almost everything that the first film did, adapting the novel incredibly well and completing Paul’s story. Villenueve perfectly matched the world building in the novel and has shown why the story of Dune is considered one of the best in all of science fiction.