The Talon

The Official Student News Publication of Davies High School

The Talon

The Talon

World Autism Awareness Day and Month

Every April, Autism Speaks celebrates World Autism Month, beginning with the United Nations-Sanctioned World Autism Awareness Day on April 2. This year marks the 16th annual World Autism Awareness Day. This period focuses on stories that provide opportunities to increase understanding and acceptance of people with autism. In this article I am going to be interviewing 2 special education teachers here at Davies.

What is the cause of Autism?
Autism is something you are born with. There are still ongoing studies about Autism but the causes are not well understood. Scientists have found rare gene changes, or mutations, as well as small common genetic variations in people with autism, implying a genetic component.

What are some symptoms and signs of Autism?
The symptoms and signs of autism can vary widely from person to person. Still, some common indicators include social communication challenges (difficulty with verbal and nonverbal communication), Repetitive behaviors (repeating certain words or phrases), Impulsivity, self harm, anxiety, change in voice and so much more.

Interview
As stated earlier, I reached out to special education teachers Gina Swenson and Desiree Brisonet. Mrs. Brisonet shared some of her thoughts about what the special education department does to support students with autism.
How do you promote social interaction and communication skills with students that have autism?
“We promote social interaction and communication skills by modeling pro social behaviors within the classroom. We also use conversation starters with groups of students to encourage social interaction. Additionally, we ensure students know they are in a safe environment wherein they are able to express themselves.”

What teaching strategies do you find the most effective in supporting students with autism in the classroom?
“There are a number of strategies that are effective within the classroom. It really depends on the individual student’s needs. Some of the strategies include: keeping a calm environment, breaking assignments into smaller chunks, visual schedules, and alternative seating.”