The Talon

The Official Student News Publication of Davies High School

The Talon

The Talon

Winter Sports Review and Spring Sports Preview

With the transition into a new season also comes a transition into new sports seasons! Let’s take a closer look reviewing the winter sport season and get exciting previews into the upcoming spring sport season.

Boys Basketball
According to MaxPreps,The Davies boys basketball season ended with a spectacular performance of being #1 in the EDC. They ended the regular season with 17 wins and four losses. The captains of the boys basketball team were Nick Hasbargan and Jaxon Beiswienger.

Heading into EDC semifinals, Davies faced Grand forks Central at West Fargo High and crushed them with a final score of 71-59. In the EDC championship game, they faced North at West Fargo High and won the EDC tournament for the third time in a row with the final score of 88-65. During the game, Davies basketball player Mason Klabo broke the state record of scoring the most points in one game. He scored 53 out of the 88 points that they scored. In the quarterfinals of state, the Davies boys faced Bismarck Legacy and crushed them with the final score of 76-38. In the semifinals, Davies faced Sheyenne and lost with the final score of 59-64. In the last game of state, Davies faced Minot and beat them with the final score of 70-65 and got third place in the state tournament

Girls Basketball
Also according to MaxPreps,The Davies girls basketball season ended with a striking performance of being #2 all season. They ended the regular season with 18 wins and four losses. The captains of the girls basketball team were Ashton Safranski, Karly Franks and Cadence Modin. In the quarterfinals of EDC Davies girls crushed west fargo with the final score of 89-40. In the semifinals Davies lost to West Fargo Horace with the final score of 79-86. In the last game that they played for EDC Davies girls beat Fargo North, with the final score of 82-44 and placed 3rd in EDC.In the quarterfinals of state,Davies Girls crushed Bismarck Legacy with the final score of 70-56. In the semi-final/s of state, Davies Girls beat Grand Forks Red River with the final score of 70-63. In the state championship, Davies Girls won the game with the final score of 64-55 and brought home the state trophy for the first time in Davies history.

Girls Hockey
The Davies Girls hockey season was filled with ups and downs as they ended the season with 10 wins and 14 losses. The captains on the team were Maia Jensen, Reganne Silberngel. In the quarterfinals of state Davies Girls lost with the final score 1-4. The Davies girls then played their second game that they had for state and lost with the score of being 2-3.

Boys Hockey
The Davies Boys Hockey season was filled with good times and bad times as they ended the regular season with seven wins and 15 losses. In the quarterfinals of the East Region Boys Hockey Tournament. Davies boys went to Grand Forks and faced Grand Forks Central and lost in the first round with the final score of 2-5 and was eliminated from being in state. The boys went back home and faced West Fargo Sheyenne and lost, with the final score of being 2-3.

Spring Preview

Girls Tennis
In the past,The Davies Girls Tennis Team has won 9 EDC championships. However, everything changed in the 2021-2022 season. In the 2021-2022 season, the Davies girls tennis team had 17 wins and one loss. They also had nine wins and zero losses in the EDC matches and made their way into the state championship and won their first ever state championship. The captains for this upcoming season of girls tennis are going to be Paige McCormick and Tanis Lee. I had the privilege to interview Paul Kolesar,The head coach of the Girls Tennis team about this upcoming season

Girls and Boys Track and Field
The 23-24 season began on February 26th. In previous seasons of Davies Track and Field , Both the girl and the boys had ended their seasons with outstanding performances. The girls track and field tem Track and field team have won nine EDC championships and six state championships One of the top performances that the girls have had is that, in 2023, at the Bison Snowbird Ashton Safranski, tied with two other Davies students. for fourth. for the best time of four hours in the 4×400 meter relay. The captain for this upcoming season is .
The boys track and field team have won two EDC championships and zero state championships. One of the top performances that the boys have had is tha/t in 2023, Isaac Schumacher,tied with three other Davies students for first in the 4×100 relay at State. The captain for the upcoming season is… I had the amazing opportunity to interview Rory Beiel, the head coach of the girls and boys Davies track and field, about this season.

Boys baseball
The 23-24 season of Boys Baseball began on March 18th. In previous years, Davies boys baseball have ended their seasons with outstanding performances. In between the years 2012 and 2015 the Davies boys baseball team have won 26 games. In 2018 however they won the EDC championship. In 2015, the Davies boys brought home the state championship.

Girls Tennis
What are you looking forward to this season? How do you plan to use past seasons’ experiences to help support the team this year?

Track
What are you looking forward to this season?
How do you plan to use past seasons’ experiences to help support the team this year?
Boys Baseball
How do you plan to use past seasons’ experiences to help support you and the team this year?