The Talon

The Official Student News Publication of Davies High School

The Talon

The Talon

What is the best music genre? Davies chimes in

What is the best music genre? That is the question of the month. This is a question that most often gets asked on a first date or whenever you meet somebody for the first time. However this month it’s my goal to figure out what Davies thinks is the best music genre. The genres that students may pick from consist of rap, country, pop, rock, and R&B.

Most common music genres in the US
According to the website gitnux.org in the year 2020, rap music surpassed rock music to become the most popular genre listened to in the United States. That year there were many hit rap songs such as, Laugh Now Cry Later by Drake, Whats Poppin by Jack Harlow, Life Is Good by future, and many more. Once again according to Gitnux.org “The statistic states that in the year 2020, hip hop became the most popular music genre in America, surpassing rock music for the first time ever.”

My predictions and thoughts
I’m predicting that the most popular genre in Davies will be either pop or rap music. According to the article “5 music trends to watch for in 2024” from the website vancouversun.com “Pop is tops followed by Hip-hop, EDM and electronic music, Latin, K-pop and then rock”. Because of this article and the music trends I’ve heard first hand in school I think it’s safe to say that pop is going to be the most popular genre.

School Poll results
And as I had predicted pop is the most popular music genre in our school with 40% of responses voting for it. Pop is followed by a tie between rock and country, both being at 16.7%. And finally, the bottom two being rap and R&B, both having a 13.3% vote.

Reason for poll results
The reason for pop being the most popular genre is because of all of the new pop music that has been released not only this year, but the end of last year as well. We all know Taylor Swift as being one of the most, if not the most popular pop artist of our generation and with her release of her album 1989 Taylors version getting released at the end of 2023 she for sure had something to do with all of these people listening to pop music. Other popular pop releases that have contributed to these results include the album COWBOY CARTER by Beyonce, and Dua Lipa’s newest song Saturn. With all of these newest pop releases it’s no wonder that pop is the most popular genre in our school.